Archives for category: metal head

rocking metal silver birds

hi ho silver
Soft, white and lustrous,  silver is the most reflective metal on the planet. Go ahead and impress your friends with that little nugget of trivia.

So how do you tell if something is Sterling Silver or silver plated?

Sterling silver is 92.5% pure silver [the other 7.5% is alloy to help stop tarnishing]  which is where the hallmark 925 comes from. If there is no mark  or SS engraved then it is NOT Sterling silver.

Silver plate is a thin layer of silver bonded to a base metal; most commonly copper, brass, white metal, or nickel. If an item has EP, EPNS, Silver on Copper, or other terms marked on it, then it is electroplated silver,  not sterling and worth much less. EPNS stands for Electroplated Nickel Silver.

source: Ebay

vintage silver cups trophies apple

Happy shiny Christmas people


brass birds duck owl peacock vintage

top brass
If a magnet doesn’t stick its solid brass,  if it does, it’s a brass covered steel.

So should you polish it? To improve it’s value no, the patina reveals it’s age and charm, according to some, but then again if you prefer clean and shiny it’s totally your call… English Custom Polishing believes antiques need to be restored and preserved and if greenish oxidisation or black tarnish doesn’t do it for you, clean it by all means but leave a little grime  in the cracks to show antiquity and allow for accurate dating.

peacock ware anodised aluminium tumblers brass feathers

are aluminium tumblers safe?

Totes cool, to touch, to behold [those fab retro colours] and for keeping drinks colder longer, hence their once uber popular status, Aluminium tumblers conjure up a checked orange wool blanket picnicy nostalgia for Gen Xers. Don’t they?

During the 1960s aluminum cookware and pieces were thought to be linked to Alzheimer’s Disease but apparently there’s been no definitive research to prove this. The Alzheimer’s Association claims it’s a myth according to ehow.  So if you are cool with that then consider them safe for a few bevvies.

But just check, I did find this warning to check if the coating is chipped or flaky. And to make sure the tumbler is aluminium. Best to avoid acidic drinks like lemonade and don’t hold it in them for long periods. Chug down your cold one with a dose of warm happy memories.



brass pewter copper vintage silver trophies Metal Guru it you?
It’s hardly me.

But I’ve picked up a few pieces and found a trend. With me anyway. So I’m calling it. Metals are cool. Also hot.

Incredible reusable materials which live on and on and in many instances improve with age retaining, or even increasing their value.

Find some classic practical shapes and they may outlive you. Gold!

silver metal gold medal vintage trophy copy

So what is a metal exactly? I know you know. But have you thought about it much? Not me either, until now.

It’s a material an elementcompound, or alloy that is typically hard, opaque, shiny, and has good electrical and thermal conductivity.

Most pure metals are either too soft, brittle or chemically reactive for practical use. Which is why we produce alloys. And what’s an alloy? Pretty much a blend. A metal merged or melted beyond reformation with another material. Sometimes a pure metal sometimes not. Very common for example: 18-carat gold is 75% gold, with the balance made up of nickel, copper and zinc.

metal tree spare parts frog

The most common and used are alloys of iron which are steel: stainless steel, cast iron, tool steel, alloy steel etc.

And we use iron which is essentially iron ore, the fourth most common element in the Earth’s crust a lot! Iron ore is the raw material used to make pig iron, which is one of the main raw materials to make steel. 98% of the mined iron ore is used to make steel. That’s a lot of mining and a lot of steel!

It has been argued that iron ore is more integral to the global economy than any other commodity, except perhaps oil. Wikipedia. Again.

The good news about steel is it’s totally recyclable so if the object is no longer functional it can be repurposed. Like Terminator 2. Melted down for the greater good. Hasta la vista baby.

vintage silver trophy aluminium tumblers gold vessel
To be continued…

%d bloggers like this: